Treating Sleep Apnea
Did you know that sleep apnea is a major problem that should not be ignored since it interferes with one’s sleep quality? But what exactly is sleep apnea? This is a disorder that results in breathing issues for the affected individuals. Those with this condition tend to struggle with breathing continuously in their sleep. They tend to stop breathing multiple times in their sleep such that the brain and the rest of their body may not receive sufficient oxygen as they should. This sounds like a serious condition that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. But how does one tell whether or not they are struggling with sleep apnea?
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
It is easy to tell that someone could be struggling with sleep apnea if they exhibit some of the following symptoms:
- Loud snoring that happens frequently. Those around you can confirm this to you
- Too much sleepiness during the day
- Snorting, gasping or choking in your sleep
- GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease)
- Morning headaches
- Chronic exhaustion even after sleeping for hours
- High blood pressure
- Poor memory and difficulty concentrating. You could also be very moody
- Waking up with a sore throat or dry mouth
These symptoms are a clear indication that you could be dealing with a case of sleep apnea. The severity will vary from one person to the next, and so will the interventions used. It would be best if you visited a specialist, preferably familiar with the condition to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Visiting River Valley Smiles is a great idea. You will get to talk to dental experts who will help you understand the conditions better. You will also discuss the treatment options available and choose what works for you. Some of the viable options include:
- Oral surgery for severe or extreme cases
- Using airway pressure devices
- continuous positive airway pressure therapy
- Oxygen supplementation
- Using oral devices and so much more
The best thing is to get an expert’s advice on how to handle the issues properly.
Benefits of Treating Sleep Apnea
Treating sleep apnea comes with several advantages. One of these is that you get to have a restful night. You will not struggle with excessive snoring that affects others around you. You may get up feeling energized and rejuvenated, ready to start your day with zeal.
Treatment also enhances your daytime alertness and improves memory and mood. You will concentrate better. Generally, you will enjoy improved health since all the risks associated with the untreated conditions will be gone.