Your smile is one of your most important assets. It’s the first thing people notice about you, and it can have a big impact on your self-confidence. But a healthy smile starts with healthy gums.
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a common infection of the gums and tissues that support your teeth. It’s caused by bacteria that build up in plaque, a sticky film that forms on your teeth. If plaque isn’t removed regularly, it can irritate your gums and cause them to become inflamed, red, and swollen.
In its early stages, gum disease is relatively easy to treat. But if left untreated, it can progress to more serious problems, such as:
- Periodontitis: Periodontitis is a more severe form of gum disease that can break down the bone and tissue that support your teeth. This can lead to tooth loss.
- Systemic health problems: Gum disease has been linked to a number of systemic health problems, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
The good news is that there are a number of things you can do to prevent gum disease. Here are a few tips:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss your teeth once a day. Flossing helps to remove plaque and bacteria from between your teeth and under your gums.
- Get regular dental checkups and cleanings. Your dentist can check for signs of gum disease and clean your teeth to remove plaque and tartar.
- Quit smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease.
At River Valley Smile Center, we are committed to helping you achieve and maintain good oral health. We offer a wide range of preventive and restorative dental services, including gum disease treatment. We also provide our patients with education and resources to help them keep their gums healthy.
If you have any concerns about your gum health, please schedule an appointment with us today. We can help you get on the road to a healthy smile.